Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hello from Jenn



Hello everyone! I'm Jenn, Laura's student in the now completed "Stitched Narratives" class at DeCordova. I'm a woodcut and monoprint printmaker, but have been a knitter and fiber lover for a long time as well. I took the class as a way to join the two media in my work. Last week I had a break through when stitching directly on two small woodcut prints, joining a bird and an egg with a white thread nest. This week I played more with silk organza and how it interacts with a sample woodcut.



Thematically, I have been using the imagery from colonial headstones (skull with wings the most familiar to folks) for a while in the printmaking, but want to explore further what I can say about the lives the headstones represent. Stitching is something these women did, and I do, but I have a very different voice to use so what can I say that they couldn't?

I also like to tie in my own family history and stories, and occasionally veer off into the realm of science and microbes and DNA when I need a break from navel gazing.





You'll find more images of work on my flickr pages.

I look forward to sharing thoughts and ideas about work and art and playing with different media. Thanks Laura!

1 comment:

  1. Jenn,

    I love that piece you did on Thursday...what texture...and the 'see through' organza part of the woodblock print...so ethereal and other worldly- I like the combo of 'death' headstones cemetery...and this effect of stitching on organza...keep going. :)

    ReplyDelete